Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme was introduced by Department of Women Development and Social Welfare, Government of West Bengal. The United Nations has awarded the West Bengal the first place for public service on account of the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme. The key objective of Kanyashree Prakalpa is to improve the status of girl child in the state by incentivizing schooling of all teenage girls and preventing their early marriages. In this article, we look at Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme in detail.
Objectives of Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
The objective of Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme are as follows:
- To provide financial helps to the girls from disadvantaged families to pursue higher studies.
- To reduce dropouts, especially amongst girls from poor families, who are not covered by any other scholarship
- To prevent child marriage in West Bengal by increasing the enrolment of girls in secondary education or vocational or sports training.
- To encourage the delay of marriages of girls until they reach the age of 18.
- To help students to continue their education for a long time.
Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme Scholarship:
The Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme has two benefit components.
Annual scholarship to be paid annually to the girls in the age of 13 to 18, for every year. It helps to ensure that the girls remain in school and unmarried at the time.
On time Grant
Under Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme, one-time grant will be paid to girls between age of 18 and 19.
Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship
Annual scholarship – K1
One‐Time Grant – K2
Eligibility Criteria for Annual scholarship (K1 Level)
The eligibility criteria to get Annual Scholarship under Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme are given below:
- Students between 13 and 17 years (before turning 18 years)of age is eligible to get Kanyashree Prakalpa Annual scholarship
- Applicant should be unmarried
- Students enrolled in classes VIII‐XII in Government recognised regular or equivalent school or equivalent vocational or any other technical training courses are eligible for this scholarship
- Students family income should be less than or equal to Rs. 120000 per annum only eligible to apply
Family income conditionality to be varied if anyone of the following conditions are true:
- Applicant girl is physically handicapped
- Student’s parents (both father & mother) are deceased
- The applicant’s daughter / ward is already a recipient of the scholarship and applying for a renewal of the benefit
Eligibility Criteria for One Time Grant (K2 Level)
The eligibility criteria for one time grant under Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme are listed below:
- Girl age between 18 to 19 years (after turning 18 years and before turn 19) can apply for this.
- The girl was unmarried on attaining the age of 18 only is eligible
- If a girl is enrolled and regularly attending an Institution of Higher Education or Training is eligible for One Time Grant
- To apply for this students family income should be less than or equal to Rs. 120000 per annum only eligible to apply
- As stated above family income condition can be varied for physically handicapped girls and deceased parents.
Below mentioned documents should be furnished at the time of application:
- Age proof document – Copy of Birth Certificate
- A statement declaration of being unmarried
- Income certificate
- Certificate of enrolment and attendance by Head of Institution of Education or Training
- Copy of Certificate of Disability (for handicapped girls)
- Photo copy of bank passbook
Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme Application Procedure
Eligible students can apply for Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme by following method. Before applying for Kanyashree Prakalpa eligible girls should open a bank account in her name.
Step 1: Eligible girl student has to collect application form respective educational institution.
Step 2: Fill following details to get the scholarship
- Personal Details
- Educational Institution Address
Step 3: Signed on that Application form and get signed by parents. Submit the application along with documents to respective educational institution.
Step 4: Head of Department will verify the details furnished by the students and put an official stamp.
Step 5: Obtain acknowledgement slip and keep application number for future reference.
Step 6: After successful submission of Application form, all details will be uploaded on the official webpage of Kanyashree.
Check Status of Kanyashree Prakalpa Application
To get status of Kanyashree Prakalpa Application, follow the below-mentioned steps.
Step 1: Visit home page of Kanyashree Prakalpa web portal.
Step 2: Click on Track Application option from the main page.